Learn to create online surveys and quizzes in Google Forms
- Have an internet connection.
- Have access to a desktop computer or laptop.
In this course you will learn everything you need to know about Google Forms in order to create great online quizzes and surveys. We’ll take a step by step approach, starting from the basics all the way to understanding the responses to our form. We’ll also be working on two practical examples: a customer satisfaction survey and an online quiz. You’ll get access to two downloadable files: a form-assessment checklist and a question type-selection flowchart. So, after this course you will be able to confidently create your own effective online survey and quiz.
Are you a student, researcher or business trying to easily and quickly gather data about large numbers of people? In that case, online survey research can help you out.
Or, are you a teacher, looking to remotely test your student’s knowledge? In that case, online quizzes can help you out.
In both cases, you can use Google Forms to create the (online) survey or quiz that you envision.
What is Google Forms and why would want to learn about it?
Google Forms is a powerful FREE tool that allows you to create online forms. You can fill these forms with questions and other means to gather data, creating an effective survey. Send out your survey and let it gather data while you focus on other important tasks. You can also turn your form into a quiz, that could automatically grade your student’s quizzes. This way you can remotely test the knowledge of your students while saving time.
Who is this course for?
The course is accessible to anyone, so even if you are a complete beginner you will be able to create your own online survey and quiz after completing this course. The course is likely to be most beneficial to anyone in the complete beginner to intermediate range. However, even if you have more experience with this topic you are very welcome to join!
What will I learn in this course?
This course takes a step by step approach to learning. So, we’ll start out with the very basics. At the end of the course you will be able to create your own complete online form. The course is divided into the following steps, for more information feel free to browse the video curriculum:
- The basics: We’ll go over the definitions of surveys and quizzes and over Google Form’s basic functionalities, such as: creating an account, finding your forms and customizing your forms.
- The question types/measurement items: We’ll learn about the different types of questions and measurement items we can use in our surveys and quizzes. We’ll go over HOW and WHEN to use each one, so you will be able to choose the right type of question for your purposes.
- Response validation: We’ll learn how we can get the answers we want using response validation. Please note that we will not go into detail about regular expression. However, even with regular expression, it is possible to make great online forms!
- Sections: We’ll learn how we can use the section functionality to create a form logic, so we can make sure that the right people see the right parts of our forms. Plus, we’ll learn how we can use this functionality to make better looking forms.
- Other useful features: We’ll also take a look at the most important and useful ‘other’ features, such as: collecting email addresses and adding collaborators.
- Quizzes: We’ll learn how we can turn our form into a quiz and how we can automatically grade our student’s hand-ins so we can test their knowledge.
- Sending out your form: After creating our beautiful form, we will want to send it out to our participants. We’ll make sure we know how to do so.
- Responses: Now that our form has gathered data for us, we can make use of Google Form’s responses-section to see what the data is trying to tell us. We’ll go over this responses-section so you’ll be able to interpret your data.
Practical examples: Customer satisfaction survey and online quiz
After we have learned about the essential functionalities of Google Forms we’ll be creating both a survey and a quiz, so you can follow along and see how we can put our knowledge into practice.
Creating a customer satisfaction survey
If you own/work for a business, customers and their needs are very important. A respected author in the field of marketing once said: ‘If you want to know what your customers want, just ask them.’ (paraphrased). Surveys are a quick, easy and effective way to ask your customers who they are, what they think about your product/service and what other services they need.
We’ll be making our own customer satisfaction survey in this course, so you can follow along and learn how you can gather important customer-related data yourself.
Creating an online quiz
If you are a teacher it is likely that you want to test your student’s knowledge. Online quizzes allow you to do that, and to do it remotely. This way you can assign and assess quizzes from any location. Google Forms also offers the opportunity to grade quizzes automatically (when your quiz does not contain open questions), saving you time.
We’ll be making our own online quiz in this course, so you can follow along and learn how you can assess your student’s knowledge yourself.
Downloadable files: Form assessment checklist and question selection flowchart
You’ll get access to two downloadable files. The first is a checklist that you can always use to quickly assess your survey and ensure its quality. The second is a flowchart that you can use to quickly find out what question type is best suited for your purposes.
I’m looking forward to seeing you in the course!
Who this course is for:
- Researchers who want to learn how to do survey research.
- Businesses interested in developing customer satisfaction surveys.
- Students working on a survey for their thesis.
- Teachers who want to remotely test their student’s knowledge.